Femme Fatales!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Onna

xOnnax, Everything Cherrychan108, What do Stars Do, Living Locurto, Glamology, Big...Fat.. Secrets! What do all these have in common? These are all just a few of the fabulous blogs I follow.

There's a saying that you are who you choose to surround yourself with, and I choose to surround myself with these fabulous ladies who are witty, charming, gorgeous inside and out and a guru of some sort or another. My definition of a guru is someone who can teach and each of these ladies has taught me a thing or two, be it for beauty, crafts, the environment and even about myself. Maybe I can't get to know them in person, though I do know one or two of them, but if I can't sit down and enjoy their company one on one, I sure as heck can keep up to date online!

As a woman in today's society I always strive to better myself, so it comes as no surprise that I would surround myself with people I admire. I realize that some of these people are much younger, much more talented individuals than myself but we all have something to teach and we can all learn from one another.
I came across Onna's blog by accident, and to be quite truth full I can't remember exactly how. I believe I just kept following one link to the next and the next and before I knew it I started to read what she was writing.
The first thing I read was Mission2: What a Difference Weight Makes...
That was it, I was sucked in. It didn't help that there were pictures of Jessica Simpson before and supposedly after her weight demise, which by the way I think she looks fabulous right now, the way she was meant to be, not the way society says she should be. Ultimately she's healthy and isn't that what we all strive for?
Anyway my point is that everything happens for a reason. When I was reading that particular post I was feeling pretty crappy about my own image. We've all been there. Society puts so much pressure on us as females, in particular, to meet a standard and I'm so sick of standards. Don't eat this! Don't eat that! Excercise! Wear sky high ankle breaker heels to look sexy! Conceal under those eyes! Cover that face in make-up! Show some skin! Ugh!!!
I'm not a religious person by any means but if God had wanted us all to look like Barbie literally, we would have been born that way. There's no way my size 18 frame will EVER fit in Barbie's outfits and I'm ok with that. That is to say I've come to terms with who I am and I've accepted it, but others have not and therefor result in spoiling my day with glares, comments or gestures.
So coming upon that post was like a sign. I'm not the only one that goes through it and it was like a slap in the face telling me to snap out of it.
I started to feel silly for having allowed someone else to make me feel that way. They're no better than me, than us and the only reason they get away with doing that to us is because we let them! Enough is enough!
Through reading Onna's blog I saw a little bit of myself in her and what better way to get to know her than to do an interview. I realize emailing back and forth is very informal, but hey, it is just a blog after all :) Let's get to know her together!





Name: Onna
Age: 18 (19 soon YAY)
Location: South West England
Size: It varies between shops/time of month etc but 12 - 16 I think! Although I've lost a few lbs recently. *Fingers crossed its a 10-12 by my birthday* :)

1. What made you decide to start a blog?

I started making youtube videos first, after watching Lauren Luke. She really inspired me. My friends are not interested in makeup like I am, so I guess I also wanted to meet people with similar interests.

2. What are some typical topics for your blog?

Diets, random blogging, reviews, hauls (the usual :) But I definitely do talk about my personal life a lot, like my battle with depression.

3. What impact would you say the media has on girls/women of today's society?

A huge amount! Even extremely young girls worry about their weight, its ridiculous! Its so sad how everyone, including myself obsesses over perfection.

4. What impact would you say the media has had on you?

Again its a lot! Sometimes it inspired me, like with fashion/makeup, but sometimes you feel like your just not good enough. I know I will never look like these women on television but it doesn't stop me wanting to.

5. Are you normal about food? The common misconception for bigger people is that they're bigger because they overeat. What is your opinion on this?

When I'm happy, I am a very normal healthy person. I eat three meals, lots of veg and the occasional treat. I find, like most women, when I'm unhappy or stressed I tend to eat badly. Sometimes I'll forget to eat all day, and then eat a lot during the night - NOT GOOD!! I wouldn't recommend it! One thing I do love atm is Smoothie! I try to have one a day.

6. If you could give any advice to those lacking in confidence today, what would it be?

Don't be so hard so yourself. I constantly strive for perfection and its no way to be. As soon as you cut yourself some slack you realise 'Actually, I'm not that bad!'

7. Who is your idol?

hmm... In terms of Beauty - Megan Fox. Talent - Natalie Portman. Fashion - Cheryl Cole. Personality - My mum, she's the best person I know!

8. What are some favorite products you couldn't live without?

Under-eye Concealer! Dark Circles run in my family!! I love Benefit Boi-ing, but I also really want to try the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage.

9. What do you want to do with your life? That is, where do you see yourself in the future?

hmm... Well I definitely want to go to university. Hopefully studying something like Fashion PR/Journalism. Then go on to work in that industry. I'm not desperate to get married etc, but we will see what the future holds.

10. What is one thing you'd be willing to tell us that nobody else knows?

Ooh Good question! I'm a commitment phobe and a bit of a tomboy... although my friends know the tomboy part.

11. In your videos and in your blog posts you always look so well put together. What are some key pieces in your wardrobe?

Aww thanks! I think I still have a lot to learn about fashion but I love my slouchy ankle boots, gladiators, black leggings and oversize cardigans and tops. Huge Sunglasses and huge handbags are great because you look slimmer in comparison :) I'm also really into rings right now.

12. As women we tend to stick together. What do your friends mean to you?

So much!! I've gone through so many ups and downs this past couple of years and I cant tell you how much I appreciate them for sticking by me. They are all so loyal and kind!! I'm also really for girls sticking up for girls and avoiding drama. I hate girls who try and go for guys who are not single. Really Annoys me!

13. Is there a guy in your life?

haha NO! Things are complicated and hectic in my life. Men just make things....more complicated?

14. What do you look for in an ideal boyfriend?

Sense of humour!! I always have weird crushes on comedians. I also love a bit of banter, someone who gives as good as they get. I don't like romantics or push overs!

15. What can we look forward to in your posts/videos in the future?

A blog of my holiday in France, possibly an outfit of the day, how I've been losing weight recently, and if I go to Sephora maybe a mini haul :)


Mark me down for the Sephora mini haul for sure! :)
Follow Onna on her blog Here for fabulous make-up and fashion trends and don't be surprised if you get a feel for her personality in her posts. She's a no nonsense kind of gal and she'll give it to you straight.

Till next time,
XoXo,
Zxen





No comments: