Femme Fatales!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Candles Candles Everywhere




If you're like me and you love to burn candles, then you search for something long lasting with a magnificent fragrance.

I've been burning candles for many years for the simple fact that I LOVE to! Plus I like the way they make my house smell, but it's sometimes hard to find candles that really last and throw their fragrance throughout the whole house. Most candles you can pick up on their scents if you're hovering a few mere inches from it, but lets face it, nobody likes to be a creeper and constantly hover not to mention it's a safety issue and bringing your candle with you everywhere you go throughout the house is just plain silly.

I was out grocery shopping the other day at our Great Canadian Superstore here in BC, it's huge! I'm talking it has everything you could ever need in there. From your regular grocery store plus an electronic department, a clothing department, a photography center, a reading place and oodles more. Naturally I found my way through the aisles looking for everything but my groceries and I came upon some Presidents Choice candles. First of all I didn't know they sold candles and secondly I had never bought soy candles before, but what the hey! They ended up in my cart anyway, much to my husbands dismay. Candles are slowly taking over our house.

In this particular Destinations line they have about four or five different scents. Each one is supposed to be from a certain destinations place but only two caught my fancy.

San Tropez

and Maui

San Tropez reminds me of a sweet peach with a very faint floral scent thrown in to enlighten your senses. It was the first one I burnt when I got home, but Maui has kinda grown on me since.
Maui smells like pineapples and papaya, literally!
These are soy blend wax candles that fill the whole house with their fragrance upon ten minutes of burning. At $6.99 each I'm not sorry I spent the money.
The Destinations candles also come in votives, tea lights and pillars, plus I saw some scented oil sticks if that's more up your alley.


Here's a few fun facts about soy candles:

Soy candles are cheap
- Beeswax is a great natural alternative to paraffin, but to get the same results as a soy-based candle, it is very expensive. Soy wax is a new alternative to paraffin wax that is cost effective. Soy wax is also made from a renewable source.

Soy wax is all-natural - Soy wax is a favorite of environmentally conscious people because it is not made from petroleum, like paraffin candles. Burning of soy candles does not increase the CO2 level in the atmosphere.

Soy candles last longer - They can last up to 50% longer than paraffin candles.

Wax spills are easy to clean - It's very difficult to remove paraffin wax from furniture or textiles. Soy wax spills can easily be cleaned up with hot soapy water.

Soy candles produce less soot - Soot should be avoided because it is very unhealthy and can eventually coat furniture and walls. Soy candles produce about 90% less soot that paraffin candles.

Scented soy candles distribute more flavour - The incorporation of soybean oil lowers the melting point of the candle, which translates into cooler burning candles and faster scent dispersion. The lower melting point of soy wax results in a larger size of the liquid wax pool around the candle wick. It is from this liquid wax pool that the essential oils evaporate into the atmosphere.

Don't forget though, NEVER leave your candles unattended and keep them out of reach of children!

What are some amazing candles you can recommend for me? I would love to try them out!

Follow the links below for some more amazing soy candles.

www.naturasoy.com
www.luminessentcandles.com/soycandles/
www.sequimmarket.com

No comments: