Femme Fatales!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Our Earth, Thy Art In My Mind

Earth Day
I am the Earth,
And the Earth is me.
Each blade of grass,
Each honey tree,
Each bit of mud,
And stick and stone
Is blood and muscle,
Skin and bone.

And just as I
Need every bit
Of me to make
My body fit,
So Earth needs
Grass and stone and tree
And things that grow here
Naturally.

That's why we
Celebrate this day.
That's why across
The world we say:
As long as life,
As dear, as free,
I am the Earth
And the Earth is me.
by: Jane Yolen

As children we don't realize the value of our Earth, except for what we are taught in school, but as we get older the Earth weighs on our conscience more and more, at least it does for me.

I want to be around until I'm too old to walk and I don't want to have to push garbage and debris out of my way with my walker. Nor do I want to have to breath through a mask because our air is so foul. How silly we would all look living our day to day lives in protective suits, yet sadly, that's what it's coming to. I want to know that my children and my children's children can grow up in a world that we and they can help maintain, for the good of the earth.

Follow with me the ten steps below and start to make a difference today!


1. Wash Your Clothes with Cold Water
90% of the energy that is consumed by a washing machine on the warm or hot setting is used in heating up the water temperature before it even goes into the machine. So wash your clothes with cold water.

2. Turn the Water OFF While You are Brushing Your Teeth
Fill up a small glass and rinse your mouth with that. This applies to shaving as well. Partially fill the sink bowl to rinse your razor instead of running the water. Saving water is vital. Saving our water supply even more so.

3. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Compost
Reusing packaging material saves more energy than recycling. By avoiding extra packaging, you save both energy and landfill space. Yard and kitchen waste (leaves/grass/vegetable scraps) are 30% of trash. Reduce this amount by composting. Also be sure to re-use plastic bags, or better yet...refuse plastic bags, when you really don't need them.

4. Dispose of Paint, Chemicals and Oil Properly
Don't put batteries, antifreeze, paint, motor oil or chemicals in the trash. Use proper toxics disposal sites and never buy more than what you need.

5. Sleep Your PC
Don't leave your computer on--put it to sleep. The resultant energy savings can really add up. Plus it will prolong your monitor and CPU's life.

6. Unplug Appliances and Chargers When NOT in Use
It's estimated than an average of 5% of your total household energy use is from appliances and chargers that are plugged in but not being used. Anything that has a little light, or a little digital clock is drawing power. Unplug and save!

7. Bike, use Public Transit or Carpool to Work
One-third of all traffic is commuters. Use alternative transportation when possible. If you must drive, go slower with proper tire inflation. It saves both fuel and tires, and lowers emissions. It also saves lives.

8. Eat Less Meat/Eat More Local and Organic Foods
Feedlots are a major source of organic pollution. Tropical forests are cut to raise beef.

9. Lower Your Thermostat in the Winter/Raise it in the Summer
Wearing a sweater in the winter and short sleeves in the summer saves energy and reduces pollution.

10. Volunteer/Lobby for the Environment
Work locally and globally to save natural places, reduce urban sprawl, lower pollution and prevent the destruction of wilderness areas for timber and oil.

Are you doing your part?


XoXo,
Zxen

No comments: